UPDATE: Unfortunately there was a tornado warning on Sunday morning, so we rescheduled the volunteer day for next Saturday, 9-11 a.m. We hope to see you at one of the sites!
Our friends at Servant Church are organizing a neighborhood-wide service day, and invite the Maplewood community to join them! There are five places to volunteer this Sunday, April 2 from 10:30-12:30. There is professional childcare available at Servant Church if you prefer, but kids welcome at most of the work sites. We are grateful to Servant Church for being such fantastic neighbors, and for bringing willing hands to help out at our school!
Let’s get together on Sunday morning to make our neighborhood environment beautiful, fun, and life-giving! There will be work for people of all skill levels, interests, and ages at ALL sites but childcare is provided at Servant Church if that’s wanted/needed. Sign up below for a site or for childcare. You don’t have to sign up to join in any of the fun but it WILL help us prepare and have enough supplies, food, and childcare workers.
Also, Servant Church is having a short outdoor service of prayer and communion at 10am if you’d like to start your day that way.
OK, enough info. Time to sign up:
1) I want to play with mulch: We’ll be working at Patterson Park with 30 of our closest new friends to provide some TLC to the trees. Volunteers will move nutrient-rich mulch to trees and spread it under the tree canopy and the critical root zone of Heritage trees on the western edge of the park, off Cherrywood Rd. We will also do some light trash pick up, as needed.
2) I want to prune and weed: We need about 8-10 people at Cherrywood Green who like to cut some plants and give others room to grow. Bring supplies if you have them but we do have some tools to loan if needed.
3) I want to help Maplewood Elementary School: We’ll be mulching with about 20 people at Maplewood. https://givepul.se/l1a6b
4) I want to pick up trash: Willowbrook Reach needs some love, y’all. It’s got trash to clean from Airport Boulevard to Cherrywood Road. If you and 20 other people don’t mind getting down in the creek and using trash grabbers, this is a great job for you. Wear pants and long sleeves because there is some poison ivy at the reach! Meet at the red swing at the corner of E. 40th St. and Willowbrook Dr.
5) I want to feed the hungry/work inside: We’ll be baking cookies and packing “survival kits” at Servant Church for the homeless to hand out and donate to Mobile Loaves and Fishes.
I want FREE childcare: https://goo.gl/ forms/zRiQFeRqRKEk468x1 Servant Church is providing professional, quality childcare from 10am-12:30. The children will participate in service activities at the church as able and do projects about caring for the environment.
For more info, email Ashley Croswell or Pastor Abigail Parker-Herrera.